The Rocky Spring Missionary Baptist Church was organized in 1948. Rev. Paul C. Wright served as Pastor from 1949 to 1985. Rev. Wright moved his flocked of the Rocky Spring Missionary Baptist Church from West Dallas to greener pastures, south of Irving when they had to sell their homes to make way for the big housing project in West Dallas. Although it meant a lot of work for the 21 relocated families, they all agreed with Rev. Wright when he smiled broadly and predicted with a wise nod: “ The future holds good out here.” Rev. Wright and a lot of his neighbors worked for Ralph Whittle, a mechanical contractor. So it was natural they would turn to the “Boss” for advice when they had to sell their homes.
Mr. Whittle agreed to buy some land, put in water, and sell lots to the families on a non-profit basis. Rev. Wright was quoted as saying, “we got busy, and around the end of June, 1951 we found the place. It was twenty-five acres on a sunny slope off Shady Grove Road, southwest of Irving, and just west of Beltline Road. The new residents named it: Whittle Addition in honor of Mr. Ralph Whittle, who sold the lots to the families for $350.00 and also drilled a well to provide water for the families. The addition also had electricity and a nearby school for the children. On Sunday’s Rev. Wright preached to his flock of Rocky Spring Missionary Baptist Church in a building they bought from a wrecking firm.
There was a lot of work to be done on the building such as adding studies and classrooms. And they also added asbestos on the outside of the building. The church grew under the leadership of Rev. Jones after the passing of Rev. Wright in 1985. In 1997 the church elected Rev. Clarence Johnson, Jr. as Pastor. Under his leadership the church began to grow spiritually and physically. In 1998 Rev. Johnson had a vision of building a new sanctuary. He met with the church and the entire church agreed on building a new sanctuary. He formed a building fund pledge drive which all of the members eagerly contributed to. Later a planning committee was formed and in 2001 a contractor was selected to construct the new sanctuary.
On April 6, 2003 the church had its entrance day celebration and dedicatory services of the new sanctuary. The Lord has continued to add to the church as He sees fit. And we will continue to bless and praise him for all of his goodness to the Rocky Spring Missionary Baptist Church Family.
Pastor – Rev. Clarence Johnson, Jr.
Rev. Charles Wolford
Rev.-Sis. Marilyn Wolford
Church Secretary – Akita Massey
Finance Chairman – Barry Starks
“A VERY PRESENT HELP IN YOUR TIME OF NEED”
We are the mind through which Christ thinks.
We are the voice through which Christ Speaks.
We are the heart through which Christ loves.
We are the hands through which Christ helps!
Copyright © 2021 Rockysprings - All Rights Reserved.